Sunday, August 31, 2008

Palin Not Ready to be President: Here's Why

I count myself among the earliest Palin supporters. I first met her at the Captain Cook Hotel in Anchorage with her daughter when she debated gubernatorial candidates for the Southwest Alaska Municipal Conference. I immediately liked her for her habit of looking into your eyes and really listening.
But my vote was predicated on the idea that she would see out her term in office and learn on the job. Because Mrs. Palin is an absolutist. She sees the universe in shadeless black and white. Her positions on abortion and sex education illustrate this perfectly.
She would have every rape victim give birth to her rapist's child. And she would end public funding of contraception education in favor of abstinence only.


"The explicit sex-ed programs," she added, "will not find my support." The stance, which reflected the priorities of the GOP, nevertheless led to an incredulous editorial in the Juneau Empire:
"Abstinence may be a laudable goal, but failing to educate teenagers about how to protect themselves from disease or unintended pregnancy is tragically misguided."
The recently announced pregnancy of the governor's unmarried 17 year daughter is an ironic top note: http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/512560.html
Mr. McCain has espoused the same, in his own awkward way:
He was asked if he supported the use of contraception or President Bush's abstinence-only education program to stem the spreading of AIDS.
"After a long pause, he said, 'I think I support the president's policy.' Does he believe that contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV? After another long pause, he replied, "You've stumped me.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/sarah-palin

1 comment:

Potatoe Fist said...

Honestly, she's another person with the abstinence policy on sex ed who's child becomes pregnant. The irony would make me laugh if it wasn't so heartbreaking.