Friday, September 5, 2008

Beating the Dead Horse

The scandals just keep piling up for poor Sarah Palin. From her daughter's teenage pregnancy to her embarrassingly false claim that she said "Thanks but no thanks" to funding for the Bridge to Nowhere, and now her affiliation with the Alaska Independent Party, the girl just can't seem to get a break. Never mind those hilariously photoshopped pictures that I'm sure ended up in your email inbox.

I am confused as to why McCain made this choice. Perhaps that's not entirely accurate: I think I can assume why he selected this underdog from Alaska to round out his ticket. I believe it was a misguided attempt to scrape up a few die-hard Hillary fans, whom he blindly assumed were bent on getting a female into office, no matter her political position. Unfortunately, this has backfired more loudly, smokily, and stinkily than a tired, decrepit Jalopy circa oh, say, 1936. What happened to Hutchinsen, the presumptive pick? How about our friend Olympia Snowe, a refreshingly moderate Republican, one of TIME magazine's "Top Ten Senators" in 2006? TIME noted; "Because of her centrist views and eagerness to get beyond partisan point scoring, Maine Republican Olympia Snowe is in the center of every policy debate in Washington."

Snowe secured a seat in the Maine House of Representatives in 1973 at age 26, and has had an illustrious non-stop political career ever since, culminating in her current run as senator, enjoying a comfortable 79% approval rating in her home state. Her moderate views would certainly tantalize an Independent voter, doubtless the deciders of this historic election, far more than the hard-right leanings of our dear Governor.

But what's done is done. I predict that over the course of the next two months, the country will lean harder and harder in Obama's favor, even if no other scandals are unearthed.

And in that case, I'm writing in Olympia Snowe for President.

-Rogue Reporter, Fairbanks, AK

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally? I prefer for my vote to count.
I prefer to have the right to choose what happens to MY body, I prefer to choose what books I read, I choose to not have as a role model for young girls in this country a woman that has a reputation for lying and I prefer to have a President that is honest. In this race? That leaves Obama.

Anonymous said...

McCain did not pick Snowe because she has a history rather than a "story".

Anonymous said...

Terry, you don't know me, but I voted for you. And I agree with most of what you have to say. As young Kodiak crab fisherman that spends a lot of his free time traveling, I miss out on a lot of what is going on in Kodiak these days.

I just wanted to say thanks for not being a push over. I'm really tired of people rolling over and letting things get worse off.

I'll be back in Kodiak this week getting the boat ready for yet another king crab season, so maybe I'll bump into you and actually introduce myself. If not feel free to email me at fishinmagician84@yahoo.com - I'll have plenty of time on the boat to be writing and causing a ruckus.

Lance Underwood